Mutti Tomatoes Paste
The concentrate in its various versions is ideal for giving extra color, flavor, and texture to dishes. It is especially suitable for dishes needing very long cooking times such as ragùs, stews, and one-pot wonders. Concentrate adds a finishing intense tomato flavor to your dishes.
Ideal for: Use to intensify flavor together with other tomato products
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 1/4 lb button mushrooms, halved
- 1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mutti® Double Concentrated Tomato Paste
- 1 hot red pepper *optional
- 2 cans Mutti® Whole Peeled Tomatoes (
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano
- freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put chopped vegetables in a food processor until minced; set aside in a separate bowl.
Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot and sauté garlic, and onion over medium heat until the onions are wilted. Add Mutti® Tomato Paste and stir until slightly caramelized. Add the remaining vegetables and cook, stirring to mix well, until the vegetables are coated in oil and wilted. Add the Mutti® Whole Peeled Tomatoes, mix well, and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently for 1-1/2 hours, stirring often, until the sauce is very thick and has a rich color. If it becomes thick too quickly, add a small amount of water, a little at a time, as needed. When the sauce is finished, set it aside while you cook the pasta, or store overnight in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Just before cooking the pasta, gently heat the sauce. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain it, setting aside 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Add the drained pasta to the sauce and mix together for two minutes over low heat, making sure the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time. Mound the pasta on the serving dish, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, if desired, and serve immediately.
Mound the pasta on the serving dish, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, if desired, and serve vegetable spaghetti bolognese immediately.